Thursday, November 10, 2011

5 November 2011

I ran my first half marathon on October 17, 2010, my wife's birthday (She ran, too, in a tiara and bedazzled shirt which read "Birthday Girl"). While I trained for that race, I came to a point where I hated running, when I literally considered throwing away my sneakers. Like most of us, I have someone I could turn to for advice. My kids call him "Uncle Bungo," and Uncle Bungo told me, "Run through it." So I did, and it got better. In fact, I ran that first half marathon nearly nine minutes faster than my goal time.

About a week ago I arrived at this point in training for the Kiawah Island Marathon. I started to loathe one of the things that brings me joy. Running was only fun while I ran. I dreaded making the time, getting adorned in my running gear, tying my shoes (no matter how funky they are…see last week's photo), getting to the trail, sweating, showering. It was all drudgery. But I remembered Uncle Bungo's advice. I kept my eyes on the prize, so to speak, and ran through it. Yesterday's run was the first time in ten days or so that it was a joy again.

So what does all this mean? I'm not sure yet; I'm still working it out. But one thing I take from it is that setting a goal and aiming to achieve it isn't simply about myself. I couldn't prepare for and then run this marathon without the support of several people, y'all included. My wife is a tremendous support, carving out several hours on Saturday so I can punish my body, only to come home and generally be wiped out for another hour or so. While my kids don't tend to know the difference, they, too, are a support for me. And on today's run my good friend Angelo joined me for the first seven miles, encouraging me (sometimes through friendly insults) along the way. Thanks.

Here is the recap of this week's running workouts:

Monday, 10/31: 6.02 miles; 7:59/mile
Wednesday, 11/2: 7.03 miles; 8:06/mile
Friday, 11/4: 5.15 miles; 8:06/mile
Saturday, 11/5: 16.03 miles; 8:57/mile

For the month of October, I covered 158.38 miles, with an average pace of 8:29 per mile.

Please remember to spread the word about the fundraising campaign (www.active.com/donate/rb4runwater) and, more importantly, the mission of Mentor Leaders (www.mentorleaders.org)

And for fun, check out this youtube link to see and hear Angelo and me on a local television program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdn49zHpST0&feature=player_detailpage#t=1417s

Until next week.
RB

No comments:

Post a Comment