Monday, March 7, 2016

Pivots

When he was starting his first business, my friend (let's call him Yo) told me about "pivots," the idea that businesses and product development have only so many pivots or iterations. The viability of the business or idea is expressly related to its pivots, whether or not it can survive to market. But why am I even talking about this?

I have met a number of people in my short running life who recognize their pivot points. In fact, I, myself, can relate to the idea of changing course in the name of survival. Recently I received a letter from a young man who has what he calls a "miracle heart." He writes that while he loves running, he is unable to push beyond short distances at this time. He sees his pivot and adjusts accordingly. (He wrote to me in order to contribute to the Rescue Mission fundraiser. And as a further side note, his junior high history teacher was my junior high history teacher and my first little league coach!)

Yesterday I met another man (named Corey) who just started exercising regularly in December and has already completed a number of 5k races. He was proud to tell me that he's already lost over twenty pounds and to share his PR, noting that the race he was about to run would be the toughest yet on account of the hilly course. As we talked about running, I recalled running the first Panerathon when I learned about the congeniality of the running community. No, not congeniality, but inclusive. Runners, as a whole, welcome and encourage one another. We know the difficulty of our sport, remember the trials we've faced along the course, and want to see others succeed and enjoy running for its own sake. We see the pivots and take them. And sometimes we need help.

Training:

Monday: 2000-yard swim
Tuesday: 5.03 miles
Wednesday: 7.25 miles
Thursday: XT @ BTF, with my bride
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 20.24 miles (split 4 warm-up, 13.22 Mill Creek Distance Classic, 3.01 cool-down)
Total: 35.52 total miles run

Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte, NC, November 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment