Sunday, March 13, 2016

New Life

This week some very dear friends of ours had their first child (Chewie!) and this got me thinking about new life. Babies are fascinating creatures, fully human, yet entirely alien, and I won't spend long on this (at least here), but the newness of human life brims with hope, right? Isn't that partly why we love babies so much?

The notion of new life also got me reflecting on my life as a runner. Forgive me for repeating myself here, but of the known peak to valley weigh-ins, I've lost fifty pounds. In fact, we once hosted some friends for dinner, friends who did not know me prior to my running, and when seeing an old picture, Nick simply and pointedly asked, "What happened?" (He was reluctant to accept the equally simple answer, "Running," until our fellow friend, Cakes, placed my latest copy of Runner's World on the table and said, "Normal people don't have these lying around.") Before I started running and taking my fitness seriously, I was heading down a dangerous road, one potentially filled with a lifetime of physical ailments. I simply started running because, as my friend Will said, I "stepped on the scale and hit a personal best." And to quote yet another friend, C.S. Lewis, "What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step." So I kept taking steps and, frankly, began a new life.

Not long after I'd completed my first marathon, I saw my friend Ryan, a missionary in the Middle East. We hadn't seen each other for a couple years, and I was looking forward to talking with him about his work. But one thing I've learned about runners is they are happy to talk at length about running, for as long as the listener can stomach the topic. (For a funny read about this, please see "I'm Truly Sorry For This, Bur You're About to Hear All About the Last Marathon I Ran" from The Onion.) Instead of launching into a narrative about life in the Middle East, Ryan wanted to talk about running, his favorite routes, his running goals for the year, an upcoming 10k, and he wanted to hear about my marathon experience. It was a funny moment, one in which I was happy to indulge him. But the thing I'll always remember about that conversation is, as we discussed our lives before running, particularly our psychological lives, Ryan articulated a great truth: "Jesus Christ saved my soul, but running saved my life." Perfect.

And so here I am, several years and thousands of miles later, training for another marathon. Quite possibly the biggest of my life. Praying for my friends, for my family, for my neighbors, for a tailwind and temperatures in the low 40s on April 18. Seeing the fundraiser climb closer and closer to the goal of $26,200 for the Rescue Mission. And as I breathe in, I exhale, "Thank you."

Monday: Rest (Can you blame me after Sunday's 20, which included the toughest half marathon I've ever run?)
Tuesday: 8.03 miles
Wednesday: 8.02 miles
Thursday: 2000-yard (just over 1 mile) swim
Friday: 4.37 miles
Saturday: 12.30 miles
Total: 32.72 miles

Kalamazoo Marathon, May 2015.
Enjoying a special brew from Arcadia Ales, this was my worst marathon to date due, in part, to unexpected high temperatures. In fact, I considered giving up marathoning after this one. My bride, my biggest fan, never believed I'd quit. She was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment