Monday, March 23, 2020

Let's Go Streaking (Again)!

I started 2017 with a daily run streak, when I ran at least one mile every day. It lasted thirty-six days and came to an end because I chose to take a rest day. (The day after the rest day, I went out for eight miles.) That was the first time I intentionally did a daily run streak, although I didn't really commit to it until two weeks in. At that point, I was considering the 2018 Dopey Challenge at Walt Disney World, so running every day seemed like good preparation.

Last year Runner's World encourage readers to run every day from Memorial Day to Independence Day, which would be thirty-nine days. My middle-aged self determined to carry that an extra four days to equal my age. I ran too many miles during that streak, averaging over 5.5 miles/day, so I was pretty gassed at the end. But it felt good, and I was fit, ready to participate I that fall's Blue Ridge Relay, which is where I met a streaking master--McBeast, who has an active run streak of over 3000 days.

That brings us to today where I currently have a ten-day streak going. In fact, I started this entry after returning from a quick five-miler (I love you, Lake Newport!) during which I inhaled a bug and spent a mile or more coughing uncontrollably. Sorry to the neighbors who wondered if a coronavirus patient was lurking in their backyards. Last week I chronicled the benefits of exercising regularly in the midst of trauma, discovering a different perspective on recovery run. Every time I go for a run during this pandemic I feel like a human, accomplishing a goal, concentrating on one thing for an extended period of time. These are tasks that have become more difficult the last week or so of unprecedented stress. Therefore, I've made a commitment to keep streaking, at least until I can sit in one of my favorite local coffeeshops to sip and read (or write about the end of a streak?). And considering my (inherent and probably inherited) rebellious nature, maybe I'll punctuate the closing of this streak by streaking. Who's with me?!

(This is the medal haul from that Dopey Challenge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment