Monday, January 23, 2017

I'm Going Streaking!

I'd heard about it for years. I even read some articles about the exhilaration. In fact, I have a few friends who have done it. They say it is exciting, challenging, even psychologically beneficial when you factor the boost it can give your self-esteem, the mental currency you can call on when times are rough. "If I did that, I can surely do this." They also say it has disadvantages, that it's dangerous, that you can get hurt. Yet on December 31, 2016, after the Youngstown Jingle Bell Run (a race, by the way, that I will run every year until my body breaks down because it was the first race I ever ran...on purpose), that I decided to do it: I was going streaking.

But there were some things I needed to consider, particularly as a Youngstown Marathon Ambassador:

  • Would I get arrested?
  • Would my body respond properly?
  • Could certain body parts get hurt?
  • Isn't it cold in Ohio in January?
  • What would the Lovely Mrs. RunningWithRB have to say about it?
Yet here I am, twenty-four days later, and I'm still a free man. Nothing hurts more than usual for a 40-yeard old man in my condition. The weather this month has been unseasonably warm (except for one day...more on that later). And while the Lovely Mrs. RB isn't thrilled about the idea, she's accepted my decision with the understanding that I won't get too carried away with it.

Obviously, friends, I'm referring to a daily running streak. (After all, this isn't called "NudityWithRB." That's a different site. Wait. Don't google that. Seriously.) As noted in a previous post, we're all somebody's crazy running friend, but we also recognize that there are people out there a little more...um...committed (committable?) than ourselves. And that's how I tend to see folks logging miles day after day, with no rest (which most can agree is essential). Yet I was so terribly curious after crossing the finish line at the Canfield Fairgrounds again. Maybe I should just see what I can do in January.

And so for self-imposed rules.
  1. At least one mile every day.
  2. Preferably outside, but allow yourself flexibility.
  3. You want to end this of your own accord, not get forced into it (by injury, sickness, irritated family) so listen to your body (and your wife and kids).
The first real test came during the first week of January when, because of single-digit temperatures, I determined I would likely run just three miles (after a series of 4s, 5s, and a 6+). That plan changed the minute I stepped out of my car (in the glorious Mill Creek Park, by the way) and was blasted with frigid air. My body yelled, "Six degrees, RB?! What is wrong with you?" I relented and ran my fastest mile of the year.

The crazy thing about this, of course, is that usually between marathon training cycles I just run when I can, for however long my schedule will allow. And I'm essentially doing the same thing, but I'm making more time in that schedule. As long as my body holds up, I fully intend to keep this up until the end of the month, with a planned rest day on February 1. But who knows? My training plan for Nashville and Youngstown doesn't start until the middle of the month. Maybe I'll keep streaking.


This is from the 2013 Akron Marathon Relay. I don't remember our aggregate time, but it was a blast. Let me know if you want me to be part of your next marathon relay team.

Three more things, faithful readers. First, for the record, during this streak I have logged over 128 miles. If I continue to hold that average (about 5 1/3 miles/day), January 2017 will hold my personal record for most miles in the month.

Secondly, the other day I asked a couple friends (who are eagerly anticipating their first marathon, at Youngstown) whether or not they would ever consider running a naked 5k. They both, fairly quickly, declined, but when asked, I couldn't have possibly offered my "Yup" any faster.

Finally, I ought to confess here that, on occasion, I have mooned my friends and family during a run. Fear not, though, because unless I know you well and no one else is around, you won't likely see these cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment