Monday, February 15, 2016

Community

My Canadian friend uses words like "crusty" and "misanthropic" to describe me, words that I appreciate and embrace. The truth is, if given the choice I would likely hole up somewhere with some books, some music, and a very limited number of my favorite people, rarely going out in public to engage with the world. This is, in part, why another friend (let's call him "Narp") asked me why I choose to run with other people, why I continue to invite others along for training runs.

While there are different answers to this ("Speed work is easier with someone else;" "When long runs get difficult, another person takes your mind off of your own pain;" "Share the suffering.") the simple response is "I must." Something very natural happens when running with a buddy. Inhibitions break down, and truth (sometimes very ugly truth) surfaces. Narp ultimately recognizes this--that sharing physical suffering leads to broken inhibitions, leads to direct community where the participants celebrate a good effort after commiserating over terrible discomfort. 

And this is what happened to me yesterday as I ran with yet another friend, Frodo. The weather was cold, windy, snowy. (Although I recently read a statement that I'm adopting: "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.") And we had to cover 14 miles, with consistent hill climbs. Frodo and I complained to one another, urged one another on, swore under our breaths (at times at one another), and then rejoiced when we finished tormenting ourselves. This is community.

And this is another reason the Rescue Mission of the Mahoning Valley is so important to me. As I've mentioned before, RMMV is only seven short miles from my home. The men, women, and children who work, volunteer, and reside at the Mission are my neighbors. They are my friends. They are my brothers and sisters. They seek to help, not simply to give a hand out but to give a hand, to encourage a "new way for a better tomorrow." On any given Sunday at their chapel service, I hear men and women alike giving thanks for each other, for the friends they've made there, knowing that it is within community that they are healed. If you're interested, check out their blog.

Training:
Monday: Swimming
Tuesday: 4.37 miles (temp run)
Wednesday: 7.07 miles
Thursday: Swimming
Friday: 4.08 miles
Saturday: Rest (It was -12 degrees with the wind chill. Too cold even for me!)
Sunday: 13.88 miles
Total: 29.4 miles, nine weeks to race day

To date, you've helped me raise nearly $6000 for RMMV. That equates to nearly 3000 meals! Thank you. Won't you help me reach (and even surpass) my goal of $10,000 by sharing this fundraising campaign with friends and family? 

Post-race hug with my bride at the 2012 Columbus Marathon (#3)

No comments:

Post a Comment