Saturday, December 3, 2011


Seven years ago we went through a string of deaths. (Isn't that some way to start off a weekly update? Stick with me here.) Over the course of six months, three people who were near and dear to us died: one, my grandmother, never awoke from surgery; another, one of my earthly heroes, lost an eight-month battle with colon cancer when he was two years younger than I am now; the third, a young woman who had given birth to her third little girl only six weeks before, never reaching her thirtieth birthday. Cheery and uplifting, right?

I was reminded of the fragility of life earlier this week when I learned that a former student of mine died rather suddenly. So each of my taper runs this week was consumed with thoughts of mortality. And this all comes together when I consider the work of organizations like Mentor Leaders (www.mentorleaders.org). And so I want to share another way you can help the villagers of Gbentchal, Togo: sponsor a child.

You can change the life of a child by providing clean water, a safe place to live, two meals a day (recently increased from one meal per day), an education…all for only $35 a month. The money you have sacrificed in order to sponsor me in this marathon endeavor is outstanding; please consider having more immediate and direct change in the life of another human being. Have a look at www.mentorleaders.org/get-involved/sponsor-a-child/ and think about contacting the director, Aimee, at aimee@mentorleaders.org. I hope you will.

For the record, at the composition of this update, the active.com campaign (http://active.com/donate/rb4runwater) stands at $3115 of the $3500 goal. If you're passionate about changing lives, pass along information about Mentor Leaders.

Monday, 11/28: 4.25 miles; 8:30/mile
Wednesday, 11/30: 5.21 miles; 7:32/mile
Thursday, 12/1: 3.01 miles; 8:40/mile
Saturday, 12/3: 8.26 miles; 8:20/mile

November totals: 133.02 miles; 18:49:56 of running; 8:30/mile

The next time you hear from me (unless I see you or talk to you on a regular basis), I will be a marathoner.

And an early Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment